Saturday, November 12, 2011

Doughnut Surprise!


Talitha has adopted her Daddy's LOVE of doughnuts as well as many other sweet treats. Not that this is such a terrible thing. I know ALL children LOVE sweets. But now my veggi-lovin little girl has started to turn her nose up at veggies in hopes for more treats. So in hopes to get some kind of vegetables into her daily diet I have started cooking from Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook. So far so good. These are the doughnuts with pumpkin and sweet potato. They were a hit! Last night I made a healthy version of fried chicken with flax meal and queona cereal for bread crumbs and she gobbled it up. Instead of frying the chicken I put only a little oil in the bottom of the pan and pan-seared the chicken. Today it will be muffins made with beats, granola bars with blueberries and spinach, and then noodles with yellow squash puree in the sauce. It takes me about an extra hour in prep time one day a week to steam and roast the vegetables and make them into purees. But hey if it gets her to start eating her veggies I'm ok with that. Now that she is no longer getting immunities from mommie's milk I feel a greater responsibility to help her make healthy choices.

Then Daddy brings home Top Pot doughnuts this morning. They were good, but it's a good thing I'm the one feeding her most days. ;)

1 comment:

Can Our Family? said...

Wow, that sounds like so much work! But it also sounds like you enjoy it. Way to go! I need to get better at working the veggies in.

Congratulations weaning T. Was it the calendar that ended up working?