Thursday, January 15, 2009

Kingdom Melodies In The Womb

122 Days To Sprout's Arrival
Today Sprout is listening to Kingdom Melodies Vol. #2. A classical version of the songs we sing at the Kingdom Hall. I've been reading a lot of articles that say recent research suggests the fetus can hear inside the womb and often prefers the music they hear up to a year after birth. I even heard an interesting experience from a girl here at work who all summer long would play the new Green Day album really loud in her car while she was pregnant. Her son is 3 now and even to this day when he is fussy and crying in his car seat and won't calm down all she has to do is put in that same Green Day CD and he goes right to sleep. I think this subject is so facisinating, I often find myself singing or humming to her knowing she can hear me. Every morning while I wait for the car to warm up in the driveway I read our Examining The Scriptures Daily Text out loud for her to hear. It's nice to know that I am starting a routine that will last a life time for her.
Here is one of the research articles I've found on the subject.
"A study carried out at the University of Leicester, to be shown on BBC's Child Of Our Time today (Wednesday July 11, BBC1, 9pm) reveals for the first time that babies remember sounds they heard in the womb and recognise them well into later life.
The study, by
Dr Alexandra Lamont from the Music Research Group at the University's School of Psychology, demonstrates how one-year-old babies recognise music they were exposed to up to three months before birth.
The discovery explodes the theory that babies can only remember things for a month or two and suggests that memory could last a great deal longer than that.
This provides important new evidence for the influence of nurture in early child development, said Dr Lamont, who is a lecturer in psychology."

No comments: